Monday 31 December 2012

2012 in numbers

So here are how the numbers break down for 2012.
And here is the 2011 version for comparison.

Since I got back in the gym at the start of the year I have managed to get most of this back on track.

Running
Worst! Year! Ever!
Might as well start with the bad. Even when I was sprinting I would clock over 650 training miles a year. In 2011, despite barely running after July I still logged over 780 miles. In 2012 I am at just 252 miles total, with 110 of those on the treadmill. 26 miles (over 10% of the yearly total) have been in the last 9 days of the year.

Last year's 124 miles of racing was my lowest ever. Until now. This year I didn't even break 37 miles of racing, all in triathlons. Less than a third of the distance I was racing when I was covering it as quarter mile at a time, less than I covered in just 2 races last year.

Biking
Major change for the positive on this one. Previous years have been 388 (2010) and 255 (2011), but 2012 has seen me ride 1,598 miles. Averaging nearly 31 miles a week. Over a third of those (688) have been on the exercise bike in the gym at work and another 166 have been on the mountain bike that I got this time last year. In races I somehow put in 161miles. Doing two standard triathlons (Knockburn and Huntly) account for 50 of those. But even including that this is another big increase in the numbers.

The increased time spent biking doesn't cover the drop in running but it did at least minimise the impact.

Swimming
My unofficial plan for the year was to average a mile a week and swim 52miles in total. By the end of August I was averaging 1.2 and I changed my target to 60. Then with the snapped collar bone I had to miss a lot of swimming and at the last TPT swim session of the year I took my total to 52.01miles for the year over 71 sessions. So I am going to call this a success based on the original target and the step up from previous years.

I still need to sort out my turns as I am losing a body-length on every turn against the tumble-turners. That is about 8% each length on a short course swim.

Session totals
Lots of short sessions in the gym at work this year mean this number is back to 'normal'. It took a while to get moving this year but I am back up to 250 sessions for the year.

The raw number is a bit of a fudge though. As the average time of a 2012 training session is less than 70% of previous years, even with the 3 hour bike rides counted in. The short swim and gym sessions are keeping this number high but majorly cutting total training time.

1902 miles total. Big step from the 1068 of 2011, but again a fudge by trading bike miles for run miles.

Blogging
Actually I have typed parts of 33 blogs this year. I just haven't published a lot of them this time round. Some of this is changing over the holidays as I tidy them up or move them to my new 2013 blog.  (http://kevinmorice2013.blogspot.co.uk).

Weight
From the crazy lows of 69kg in August 2011, I have managed to stabilise my weight again. Since July this year I have been sitting at 77kg give or take a couple (76kg post-ride today). Still nearly half a stone lighter than I probably should be, 10lbs under my "ideal" BMI. But no longer at the dangerous or freakish levels and even though I have moved it around from 75-80 through the year it has been a general trend for improvement, even when I have been getting lighter it has been through increased training load and when I have been getting heavier it has been trading flabby bits for useful muscle. I even managed to adapt my diet enough so there were no wild changes when I had to sit around doing nothing for 8 weeks with the snapped collar bone.

In general my diet this year has improved on average but with having one bad day of take-out or eating out almost weekly. My diet this may have to change again if I can get my running numbers back up. The current healthier diet does enough calories for what I am doing but won't cope with my planned training load for 2013.

Other numbers
1 broken bone, requiring 2 trips to A&E, 2 to surgery and 8 to clinic appointments. Resulting in 1 surgical intervention (eventually) to fit 1 titanium plate and 8 screws to hold together the 4 pieces.
Also 18 visits to 2 psychiatrists. Finally done with them though.

27 trips to the cinema on my new Cineworld movie pass. Some great (Pitch Perfect, Skyfall, Avengers, Dark Knight Returns), some decent (John Carter, Argo, 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike were all worth the trip) but too many of them were truly terrible (Hobbit, Prometheus, Hunger Games, Lockout, Amazing Spiderman, Bourne Legacy, Savages). Hope next year is more of the former and less of the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment